Why Periodic Cleaning and Dental Exams Are Vital for Your Oral Health
When was your last appointment with your dentist? Periodic dental exams and professional cleaning are crucial preventive measures that minimize the risk of having oral health problems. Routine exams and cleaning in Sharpstown, Houston, TX, are vital in ensuring your oral tissues remain healthy and that you avoid extensive dental procedures in the future. Oral infections may spread to other body parts and lead to life-threatening issues. Dental exams detect underlying issues and facilitate early diagnosis and treatment.
What to Expect During Your Routine Dental Exam and Cleaning
Dental check-ups are accompanied by a professional cleaning that’s ideal in preventing gum disease and fighting cavities. If your dentist identifies underlying gum infections, you are likely to undergo deeper gum cleaning procedures. Dental cleaning involves:
- Removal of plaque and tartar
- Teeth polishing
- Fluoride treatment to reverse and prevent the formation of cavities
- Dental flossing between your teeth to remove debris
- Cleaning your teeth and gum tissues
- Reviewing brushing and flossing techniques previously recommended
Dental exams are vital in assessing the condition of your oral tissues. Our dentist in Sharpstown, Houston, TX, does a comprehensive check-up during your dental exam, and some of the procedures done may involve:
- Taking digital X-rays that provide a clear image of our dental
- Evaluating the state of your gums to check for any signs of gum disease
- Examining your mouth tissues to check for loose teeth and stability of your dental structure
- Inspecting your previous dental work and prosthetic, including old fillings
- Monitoring any signs of oral malocclusions
- Assessing your tongue and signs of tooth decay
Dental exams and cleaning are crucial in identifying underlying oral health issues and preventing further severity. Our general dentist in Sharpstown, Houston, TX, also checks for signs of oral malocclusion, TMJ disorder. An evaluation of your soft mouth tissues, including tongue, lips, and mouth lining, is done to check for signs of cancerous lesions. Your neck, palate, and lymph glands are examined to determine whether there are underlying oral health issues or infections. Oral cancer screening is a vital procedure since oral cancer can be life-threatening. If cancerous cells are detected at early stages, you can undergo suitable treatment.
Benefits of Dental Exams and Cleaning
Our general dentist in Sharpstown, Houston, TX, will evaluate your teeth and gums during your check-up appointment to look for any signs of infections, cavities, or decay. Tooth decay and build-up of plaque may lead to periodontal diseases, and it’s crucial to undergo dental exams. Your dentist will also look out for the following oral health issues:
- Gum disease which leads to tooth loss
- Oral cancer at early stages for diagnosis and treatment before it becomes severe
- Medical conditions like bad breath associated with diabetes or other oral infections
Professional cleaning eliminates plaque and tartar. Specialised tools are used to remove debris between your teeth, which hardens to form dental calculus. Teeth flossing and polishing eliminates stains and keeps your mouth fresh. Plaque build-up may compel your dentist to perform a scaling procedure. Dental exams and cleanings in Sharpstown, Houston, TX aids in the prevention of periodontal disease, tooth loss, and cavities.
Recommended Oral Health Tips
Regular teeth flossing and brushing are essential for proper oral hygiene, but it’s not sufficient. Additional tips from your oral hygienist can enhance longevity in oral health.
The dentist near you may recommend observing a suitable oral hygiene regimen to prevent bacterial infections on your oral tissues. At Salinas Dental Group, we advise you to follow the tips below in ensuring you maintain good oral health:
- Floss and brush regularly to prevent the formation of tartar and plaque.
- Undergo fluoride treatment to prevent cavities
- Avoid smoking tobacco, which weakens your dental structure.
- Rinse your mouth using recommended mouthwashes that are non-abrasive
- Maintain a balanced diet and limited snacking. A proper dietary lifestyle ensures that your teeth are healthy and strong.
- Make regular visits to your dentist for dental exams and cleaning.
If you haven’t undergone your routine dental exam, there’s a need to make an appointment. Our dentist in Sharpstown, Houston, TX, may recommend you undergo dental exams and clean bi-annually for a thorough check-up on your dental state. Please schedule a dental exam appointment today and ensure your hygienist addresses your oral health issues before the issues become severe.